Vegan and plant-based food is quickly being adopted globally. Know why?
Every time we sit down to eat, we can stand up for a kinder, healthier, and, more sustainable world.
There is a power behind what we put on plates. By opting for more plant-based menu options, we can help to better protect animals, people, and the planet.
Benefits of being mindful of your eating habits
Being mindful of your eating habits means being aware of:
- how you eat
- why you eat
- what you eat
- when you eat
- where you eat
- how much you eat
Being mindful can help you:
- make healthier choices more often
- make positive changes to routine eating behaviors
- be more conscious of the food you eat and your eating habits
- create a sense of awareness around your everyday eating decisions
- reconnect to the eating experience by creating an awareness of your:
How to be mindful of your eating habits
Use these ideas to help you be mindful of your eating habits.
Create a healthy eating environment
Your eating environment changes depending on where you live, learn, work and play. Focus your attention on eating and your eating environment.
Regardless of where you are, try to make changes to your surroundings so that the healthy choice is the easy choice.
Use your senses
Being mindful of the foods you eat encourages you to pay attention to the aromas, textures, flavors, and taste of food. Pay attention to your likes and dislikes using these senses. This may help connect you to your eating experience and be more conscious of the food that you are eating.
Consider your eating habits
Think about the last meal or snack that you had. Can you describe:
- How you ate?
- Did you eat slowly?
- Were you distracted?
- Did you eat with others?
- Why you ate?
- Were you hungry?
- Was it offered to you?
- What you ate?
- What did you have to eat and drink?
- When you ate?
- What time was it?
- How long had it been since the last time you ate?
- Where you ate?
- Were you in a space meant for eating?
- How much you ate?
- How much food and drink did you have?
Being able to recall and describe answers to these questions means you were likely being mindful of your eating habits.
Benefits of healthy eating patterns
Making healthy food choices can help you develop a healthy eating pattern. A healthy eating pattern helps you improve your overall health.
The term eating pattern refers to what you eat and drink on a regular basis. In a healthy eating pattern, all the foods and drinks work together to:
- help you feel good
- maintain your health
- meet your nutritional needs
Many of the well-studied healthy eating patterns include mostly plant-based foods.
Plant-based foods can include:
- vegetables and fruits
- whole grain foods
- plant-based protein foods
Eating plant-based foods regularly can mean eating more fiber and less saturated fat. This can have a positive effect on your health, including a lower risk of:
- heart disease
- type 2 diabetes
Most healthy eating patterns include few or no highly processed foods
Healthy cooking methods
Explore different ways to cook food. Try those that require little to no added fat. This includes:
- stir-frying and sautéing
How to make water, your drink of choice
Use these tips to help make water, your drink of choice:
- drink it hot or cold
- drink water with your meals
- ask for water with your food when eating out
- carry a reusable water bottle when you are out
- try fruit and herb infused water or carbonated water
- drink water during and after physical activity or playing sports
- keep a pitcher of water in the fridge or on the table for easy access